Monday, August 11, 2008

Update on Mama

Mama had another surgery this morning. It is her second one since being diagnosed with breast cancer. Today, she had a lumpectomy and things went pretty well.

First thing this morning she had to take a pregnancy test (ha!), then go to another doctor's office for her to have something injected into the breast (some sort of tracking device), and then finally to the hospital for the operation.

They injected a dye to see which lymphnodes it attached to. From what the doctor told us afterwards, it never attached to a lymphnode (which is a good thing.) She did find some enlarged lymphnodes, so she removed those and they were negative for cancer cells. From what we can tell right now, the cancer hasn't spread outside of the milk duct. However, they will be doing more extensive tests on the lymphnodes they removed and could find some cancer cells there.

We are not out of the woods yet, but definitely received the best news we possibly could today. She will still have to have radiation (which we already knew from the first surgery) and may possibly have chemotherapy, but we will find all that out next week at her doctor's appointment.

So please keep her in your thoughts and prayers. Thanks so much.

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

Aww I am sorry to hear about this Kristen, breast and ovarian cancer run in my family and I know how devastating it is. I lost my great grandmother to cancer, my grandma has a masectomy, and my mom has had a lump removed, so you can see how nervous I AM!

My prayers are with you and your family....

Kristen Elisabeth said...

@Vanessa...

I completely understand the feeling! My great-grandmother had breast cancer a few years ago (she was in her early 80s) but the doctors have said that her's and my mom's were unrelated. It has just made me realize how important it is to get mammograms. My mom found out she had it because of a routine mammogram. They said it could have been a few years before a lump would have formed. Thank you so much for your prayers. I really appreciate it and I know Mama would too.